At the time of this writing, I’m 24 years old. I’ll turn 25 three months from this writing, in July of 2012. I am, by no stretch of the imagination, all that old by today’s standards. I’m just a shard over a quarter of the way in to my life. There are green pastures ahead of me.
That being said, this reddit thread made my brain totally shut down. I feel like I should be sitting on my front porch sucking on hard candy and complaining about music.
For reference, since some of you are probably afraid of reddit and will probably never follow that link, the title of the post is “1990 is closer to the moon landing than it is to present day. What other seemingly obvious facts blew your mind?”
And some of the stuff in the comments is making my brain hurt. We’re not talking about Back to the Future Hoverboard jokes. This stuff is legit:
- Today’s middle schoolers don’t have a living memory of the September 11th World Trade Center attacks.
- The 1990’s are as distant to today as the 1970’s were to the 90’s. The 90’s were my generations 70’s, and I grew up then.
- Home Alone is 22 years old.
- Bill Clinton has been out of office for some 12 years now.
- The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is now older than Bewitched was when The Fresh Prince was current.
These next facts all came from one comment, and it was almost too much “whoa” to be packed in to one place. It gave me a headache.
- The PlayStation (one) is now older than the Atari 2600 was when the PlayStation was current.
- In 9 months, there will be teenagers that were born after Y2K.
- DVD’s are 16 years old.
- There are adults roaming the earth that have probably never used or seen a VCR.
I was in 9th grade, at school when 9/11 happened. I remember the Clinton impeachment like it was yesterday. I remember Y2K, too, sitting on an old Mac running System 7, chatting on some variant of AIM or AIM Express or an actual AOL connection waiting to see if the computer I was running would explode when the clock struck midnight.
I still own VHS tapes. Hell, since I was born in Canada where everything is so far behind I even remember Betamax. I remember watching The Fresh Prince as a kid, and I remember when Nick at Night had black and white TV in its lineup, not shows that I used to watch as a kid. I Love Lucy, I Dream of Genie, Bewitched.
This whole thing is just upsetting. Get off my lawn. Where are my Werther’s?